By Leah Tanner
If you’re anything like me, the first thing you do in the morning is check mindbodygreen to see what’s new. Why do I love it so much? Well, what’s not to love? MBG is my ‘go-to’ for nutrition advice, lifestyle coaching, exercise tips, and other bits-and-bops.
Yesterday, I had the honor of hearing Jason Wachob, the CEO and founder of mindbodygreen, speak at the #RETHINK WELLTH event hosted by Grind. In this talk, he touched upon various personal wellness topics — all of which he further discusses in his new book, Wellth.
While I highly recommend checking out his book for full details and explanations, I figured I would share some of the key takeaways that I gathered from Jacob.
10 LIFE LESSONS FROM JASON WACHOB:
1. MONEY IS NOT THE BE-ALL AND END-ALL. THERE IS WAY MORE TO LIFE.
2. YOGA CAN BE A LIFESAVER. EVEN JUST DOING IT FOR A FEW MINUTES a DAY CAN MAKE THE BIGGEST DIFFERENCE.
3. READING ABOUT SPIRITUALITY [AND STUFF OF THAT NATURE], MAY SEEM “OUT THERE” UNTIL IT HITS HOME. SO GIVE IT A CHANCE. BE OPEN MINDED TO LEARNING NEW THINGS.
4. WELLTH INCLUDES: MENTAL, PHYSICAL, EMOTIONAL, SOCIAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS.
5. SOME OF HIS DEFINITION OF WELLNESS (DISCUSSED IN HIS BOOK) ARE: EATING, MOVING, BELIEVING, WORKING, LOVING, HEALING, LAUGHING, GROUNDING AND THANKING.
6. ENJOY YOUR CURRENT JOURNEY, BUT ALSO HAVE ASPIRATIONS.THIS IS VERY HARD TO DO, BUT WHEN YOU CAN FIND A HAPPY BALANCE BETWEEN YOUR PRESENT AND YOUR FUTURE, THAT IS WHEN YOU FEEL THE HAPPIEST.
7. “GRATITUDE IS AN ATTITUDE”
8. “STRESS DOESN'T GO AWAY, IT JUST CHANGES” … FIND A MIND/BODY ACTIVITY THAT HELPS YOU COPE WITH STRESS. DON’T TRY TO FIGHT IT, MANAGE IT.
9. “EAT FOOD. NOT TOO MUCH. MOSTLY PLANTS” - MICHEAL POLLAN
10. AND FINALLY, FIND WHAT WORKS FOR YOU! WE ARE ALL UNIQUE. NO ONE FITS A SINGLE MOLD. JUST BECAUSE ONE THING WORKS FOR ONE PERSON, DOESN'T MEAN IT WILL WORK FOR EVERYONE! FIGURE OUT WHAT YOU LOVE AND FOLLOW THAT.